Monday 22 April 2013

If animals could talk.......

This is Cookie - my beloved companion, a 6 year old cocker spaniel.
I'm sure for those of you who have pets like myself you have a great feeling of protecting animals, trying to help strays find a home even become a vegan or vegetarian.

I have often tried to imagine what it would be like if my pet could talk or at least if I could tell what her barking meant :).

Of course we can tell if the barking is caused by excitement or fear etc but that is as far as our knowledge goes. I have often stared into my dog's eyes which I'm sure you would have too and I get that awww from looking at those eyes.

Admittedly though we as humans have become very hurtful. There are countries which have a great problem with stray animals especially dogs. The things I have seen happening to animals are indescribable and I will not include pictures or talk much of the crimes but I will say this: hurting a living being for any other reason than survival is something only humans do. Nowhere else in nature is there a more vicious being than man. Even amongst the most dangerous of species you will not find such terrible torturing crimes. Even though such people who do such things like torture or kill animals should not be walking around free, as they are disturbed, mentally ill people undoubtedly, I still wonder: what if animals could talk?

Would this prevent people from hurting them as they would seem cleverer than they are therefore more superior to what they are now and closer to a humans logic level? Would talking animals prevent people from hurting them if they could say 'please don't do that it is painful'? Would people be prevented from abandoning their dogs in the street if their pet could say: 'please don't leave me, without you I will not be able to survive and I will die' ?

We as humans have domesticated animals depriving them of their instincts, their ability to live free in nature and yet we see cases of pets constantly living in a garden or quite frequently being abandoned without having any survival skills. This is a whole ethical talk which I'm not going to get into as it is pretty obvious what ethical issues arise. I will say this though: even though man managed to separate himself from animals as it is superior in logic he has failed to evolve his emotional IQ something animals have managed to do and this is why they are loyal. This is the reason humans are not superior to animals but are incapable of understanding what animals are trying to tell us by their body language or barking etc. It is us that are failing to 'read' them and yet we see them as inferior?

Isn't it surprising how every day we hear a great story about a dog or we find out more things we didn't know about them and understand them better? It is not animals that are doing anything new it is us being able to understand them. So how does this make us, humans superior?

I'm sure that all pet owners found themselves being more sensitive about animals after getting one and I'm sure they were surprised at how clever they are and the things they understand.

I know I did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment