Sunday 14 April 2013

WTF has happened to the new generation?

So I went for a drink last night with a couple of friends to this rock bar/ club.
Having a tribute party, the music after 2.00 continued as normal after, which is classic and 80's rock.
Being born in the 80's I quite like that type of music and I listen to it at home as well.

So it is about 2.30, sitting with my friends, already having had 4 drinks and right next to our table there's is a table of six, two guys (well one guy and one that resembled a guy) and four girls which looked like they were 20 years old tops.

So I'm sat there, looking around observing people like I usually do so I can bitch about them after, something that was particularly easy at that point cause most of the people had left when Def Lepard's 'Put some sugar on me' comes on, a song I like enough to have for a ringtone actually.



And what do I see? It was shocking to say the least! The four girls next to us started screaming, not like wow yeah kind of scream but aaaaaa Justin f*****ing Bieber kind of scream and started 'dancing' to it in a way that was something between moving the hips to chart music holding hands, and modern style belly dancing. I was shocked! I know I may sound like I'm exaggerating but really you had to be there to appreciate it!

So me and my cousin sat next to me who by the way is 20 herself, roughly the same age as the girls but has never danced like that to rock music, sat startled, we couldn't believe what was going on. My thought was: the 80's should be suing these girls for mocking a whole decade and what it musically represents!

So I thinking: what has happened to these girls? What has gone wrong in this generation? A week before I actually saw the same thing in a different bar- girls dancing to rock music I think it was Nirvana in particular in a way they would to a Shakira song!

I thank God that it is not a whole generation I have seen young girls who did not leave the 80's or 90's rock music scene but can move to it just fine - so there is hope. But what it makes me think is how people constantly try to be something they are not whether that is in their style, taste etc instead of just being themselves cause when you are not yourself it will show and it will show if you try to show you are trying hard to be that something else.



*image source: http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1716150146583520457#editor/target=post;postID=1764622306220183770

No comments:

Post a Comment